Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Tomata' Tamahta'



Our two plants have produced quite the bumper crop. Jon is eating tomato sandwiches for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but the kids are just turning up their noses. After trying a bite and gagging, Gem asked us to make her try a lick of tomato in about 5 year--the earliest that she foresees her taste buds acclimating to the veggie. She's too turned off to even try a bite.

I actually ate a slice with salt and pepper and enjoyed it, not just tolerated it. What a great time of year--fresh tomatoes, sweet corn, watermelons, peaches, grapes, blueberries and cherries.

We have also been enjoying cucumbers, sweet corn and beets from our garden.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

sorry, i agree with gem!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Gem pretty much nailed it. I like em on sandwiches but not straight up. Still, it's pretty cool that you had such a great crop.

Mark

Anonymous said...

Tell her to keep at it. If you recall, I did exactly the same thing, trying just one bite of tomato every summer. It only took me 10-15 years!

Ann Temily