Friday, August 24, 2007

A Rare Visitor

One of Jon's employees has an interesting hobby that benefits our homeschooling quite a bit: he raises butterflies. Last year he gave us two caterpillars that munched until it looked like their sides would burst. We got to see them form their chrysalises and after they emerged we let the beautiful creatures flutter away.

During that time, we got into studying about butterflies and moths. One of these was a rare variety that Gem and I hoped to see some day. Little did we know that it would be coming for a visit this August.

Last week Jon was checking his email and yelled to me in the next room, "Hey, Charlie wants to know if you want a Luna Moth caterpillar."

"A LUNA MOTH? You're kidding! Really?!"

"I guess that means you want it."

Gem walked in a few minutes later, and when I told her she went into hysterics too.

Obviously, we're homeschool nerds.

So why were we so excited? Since you're just aching to know, here are a few facts about the Luna Moth:

1. In the 90's, they were considered for the endangered specis list--very rare.
2. It's a huge moth--from wing to wing, a little shorter than your hand length.
3. It's a glowing green color and has long "tails"
4. When it becomes a moth, it has no mouth or stomach (can't eat) and has about one week to reproduce before it dies.

That's why I have a glorified worm on my kitchen counter.

No comments: