One year ago this August, Gem and I made a pact: she makes her bed every day for a year without missing even one day, and I will buy her a dog. I started getting nervous in November. By January, when she still hadn't missed a day, I began plotting. In February I announced option number two (my buy-out option).
The plan: Since we will be at Nana's house for two weeks this summer, which happens to be about 3 hrs. from Chicago, I proposed that we make a day of it and go to American Girl Place. Since Gem loves American Girl, this was a huge temptation. And guess what? It succeeded!!!!!!!!! Yea!!!! No dog hair. No kennel for vacations. No vet bill. No pet smell. No picking up poop. Mom has triumphed!!!
The grand total of this event will set me back almost $300. I got the day at American Girl Place package, which includes two tickets to the live stage production, two for a meal in the cafe (we're doing afternoon tea), a t-shirt for your doll, a photo shoot and a portrait of you on the AG magazine cover, $120 to spend at the store, and a package containing all these vouchers delivered to your door in a pretty red envelope with ribbon tie.
She is thrilled. Her dog sitting for the neighbor has netted her nearly $120 (after spending some) and she is planning to blow every last cent at AG Place. And Nana will be with us, so you know that she will be swimming in cash.
Congratulations to Gem and to me! I haven't had to say a word about her bed for a year and she has earned her reward. $300 is a small price to pay for a little bit of peace in our home. Besides, I'm looking forward to seeing the joy on her face during her special day.
2 comments:
Erin,I hope that you and Gem have the best time together at American Girl in Chicago, what a treat!! Gem definitely deserves her special day with you and her Nana. What an achievement for an 8 year old! I know adults that do not make their beds everyday, myself excluded, of course! ha!
Love to all!
Carmen :)
GOOOOOOOOO Gem
Post a Comment