Monday, May 14, 2007

Filthy but Fun







Camping was so much fun when I was a kid. I have images in my mind of what it was all about: sweatshirts in the morning, cards at night, and hiking, swimming and camp fires in between. It was all about playing and being a family.

Other impressions are there too, but have only recently come to the forefront of my mind: Mama Jo with a broom in her hand, determined to overcome in the battle with the dirt; mom handing out apples at every meal, because apples are easy; Dad doing the bag drag to the car, out of the car, back to the car, back into the house, with both mom and dad cleaning between each step. What an ordeal camping is for an adult!

We went camping over the weekend to Stone Mountain State Park. I got a full dose of adult camping, but what a beautiful place and a wonderful campground (with new showers). The kids had a grand time.

Despite two nights of storms in a new and leaky tent (now returned to the store), Sinatra and Popcorn up during the night, a camera that refused to work (pictures are courtesy of our friends) and layers of filth all over us, we did manage to have fun.

The kids were thrilled that their friends were with them (a family we've known since we lived in Indiana). They brought along their scooters and rollerblades and all 8 of them overtook the campground.

One of the highlights of the trip was a waterfall that doubled as a natural slide. I had not packed swimsuits but let them go anyway. I think the whole trip was worth that experience.

The big kids got to go with the dads fishing. Jon caught one rainbow trout and four others. The kids mostly played in the stream and scared all the fish away.

On the last day we hiked to the top of one of the mountains (very small). We didn't have a baby pack so I carried him. It was worth it! Beautiful scenery.

The overall experience was so tiring, but well worth it.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

You are a brave mom. But, as you know, those are the trips they will remember forever. The kids look great.