Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk

Well, maybe crying is allowed for a newly opened gallon of milk poured over the wood floor and under the refrigerator 10 minutes before company rings the doorbell.

Sinatra likes to get the milk out an carry it to the counter. I wasn't in the room when he decided to do it this time. When I found the mess I mopped up the damage and had my friend move the refrigerator so I could get behind it to finish the job--or so I thought.



My friend was at our house for about three hours. After she left I walked into the kitchen by the refrigerator and noticed a good sized puddle on the carpet just inside the doorway to the school room. How we stepped over it numerous times without anyone noticing it I will never know. So, three hours of soaking into the carpet and padding--nice.

I sucked it up for about 10 minutes, rinsing frequently and sucking up more.

Two days later I walked into the house and about fell over with the smell. I looked to see if the compost bucket under the sink hadn't been emptied--nope. I searched the refrigerator--nope. The trash can? I wish. Of course, it was the spot.

Jon brought the extractor from work and I sucked out milky water for 45 min.--until it was clear.

Two days later--still stank when I got close to the refrigerator. Suck up more--still stinks.

Jon had his housekeeping manager come by and dump some good smelling stuff with enzymes to help break up and lift the stench. Two days later--still stinks, but only when you stoop down near the stain.

Here's the thing: the carpet is not really worth saving. It needed replaced the day we moved in, but with potty training children and spillers of juice in abundance we opted to do different home improvement projects instead of spending the cash on the carpet. But this may push the issue to the forefront. We're considering extending the hard wood floor. (Can you hear my mom cheering in the background--No, that's not the wind outside, it's the faint sound of my delighted mom, celebrating in Indiana. She has wanted rid of my carpet for years). This would seriously put a damper on painting the kitchen cabinets and getting granite countertops. We'll see. The housekeeping guy is coming back tomorrow for one last try.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I can smell your carpet from here. And our mothers must be sisters b/c my mom's greatest day will be when I get new carpet too. I'm also waiting for the spilling, peeing, pooping stage to be over. And we're getting real, real close.

But that is a bummer.

Anonymous said...

Oh Erin, that is a hard smell to get rid of! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to get new wood floors, painted cabinets and a granite counter.

Here's something that might help until you get your flooring replaced. Hopefully it will work. :)

Try Woolite Oxy Deep spray. Comes in a spray bottle and is available at most grocery stores. This stuff is fabulous for strong odors. Spray a bit on and blot up with a paper towel. However, I suggest testing a spot on your carpet in a place that is not visible before using on the spoiled milk spot. If any of the carpet color "bleeds" onto the paper towel, discontinue use.

Carmen