Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Capital of Maryland

This year, Popcorn is in the kindergarten level class at our homeschool group. They learn all the same material as the older kids, but not as in depth.

We've been going over the states in the U.S. The older kids are learning capitals. The younger ones are concentrating on names of states. We also cover history, science, math, Latin, etc. etc.

When I review the material at home, Popcorn often interrupts and says, "Let me answer." I wasn't surprised when he tried to answer my question today.

"Shakespeare, what is the capital of Maryland?" I asked.
"I know, I know, Mom!" Popcorn said as he popped up from the floor where he was playing cars.
"Okay, Popcorn, you can answer. What is the capital of Maryland?"
"Butt whiff."
"What?!!!"
"Butt and whiff."

It seems that we have some confusion with a Latin conjunction and preposition from the last two weeks: Sed=but, apud=with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sister,

This is funny but I'm not gonna lie to you...it's kind of dorky. I mean, if I knew any Latin, I might understand and appreciate the true humor here, but I don't know Latin. It's like if I told you a joke about how a guy I flew with once mistakenly flew the ILS radial outbound instead of the correct back course localizer. We pilots all laughed about that one for months.

It's a compliment really. I mean, your kids are smarter than I am already. I knew it would happen eventually, but I never thought it would be this soon.

Keeping Up With the Joneses said...

Reply to Mark:
I think that story about the guy who flew the Backcourse ILS in the wrong direction is hilarious! Do you think he ascended on the glideslope? And if he did, do you think the unusually high power setting caught his attention?

Oh well, now concerning Butt Whiff: I think I need a flying lesson cause I am feeling a little lost. What is the connection with the capital of Maryland?

Or as the guy on the movie "Big" said, "I don't get it."

Love,

Pop

Natalie said...

I understand your story, Erin. And here is my own geeky Latin story.

In 9th grade, I took Latin with this mean, crusty old teacher. He never called us by name so I really believed he didn't know our names. One day we were going around the room conjugating verbs and I didn't get my answer right. He looked at me and shouted "Who are you!" Timidly, I replied, "Natalie," really believing that he didn't know my name and wanted to yell at me properly with it.

All of a sudden he paused and you could tell he was trying to hold back a tiny grin. Once he gained his composure he said, "Not YOUR name, what case are you? Nominative, etc. etc."

The whole class busted out laughing. And to this day I can still conjugate verbs.

And for the record, that flying story was hilarious. Not.