Friday, November 02, 2007

When God Speaks

God talks to me all the time. It's rarely about anything earth-shattering. In fact, it's usually about mundane things like which socks to wear today.

Over the course of time I've noticed that the little things are what matters and that He doesn't edit me because He can, but because He's looking out for me or for someone else through me. Let me illustrate:

Near the end of May there is a Scholastic warehouse book sale that is open to educators in the area. Everything is 50% off--huge delight to my homeschooling soul! This May, my friend and I decided to swap babysitting so that we could alternately attend.

The morning of the sale I woke up and got ready, but God told me (no, not audibly)not to go. I argued and reasoned that I had not heard right. I packed up my kids.

As I drove to preschool to pick up Popcorn, the Lord finally gave in and I had a release to go. With a smile and peace in my heart, I dropped off my troop at my friend's house and drove to the sale, all the while listening to a sermon CD on obedience.

When I got there the parking lot was almost empty--I was a week early.

Today:

I have been making plans for a field trip for our homeschool group to a local observatory. Tonight was the night. I got up this morning and realized that I had not sent out a reminder this week to all the families. As the thought crossed my mind so did God's "No".

But did that stop me? -- No. I sent out the reminder and then received an email from the director of our program soon afterward saying that I had the wrong date.


Sometimes I listen and obey, and have delightful outcomes.

Regardless of whether I obey or not, sometimes I see the results and sometimes I don't. But from all of the times that I have seen the results, it's convinced me that I have an incredibly loving Heavenly Father and that He's very interested in even the tiniest detail of my life. He parents me faithfully.

I hope that I will grow up to be a mature child, faithful in small things so that He can entrust me with more. That's where my heart is. That's what fuels passion in my life and fulfills me completely.

Jesus is the love of my life--no, He is my life and there is no life outside of Him for me. My wonderful Hubby and beautiful kids are amazing, but His love outstrips that love by leaps and bounds. Nothing can compare to Him.

I pray that every person could know this wonderful savior and learn to hear the quiet, yet unmistakable voice of this shepherd, father, king, intimate friend. What a love affair.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN sister!!