I'm not getting used to this pre-teen stuff. Notice my IPod headphones that she's sporting.
Within 3 minutes of arriving Mom declared the business a racket and wondered if they sell stock. Gem was thrilled with all 3 floors of merchandise. I was satisfied to see that the 3 hundred I laid out for this event was worth it.
Mom and Gem are severly back lit, but you can see the John Hancock building (black tall one) in the background. That is where AG Place was--right by it.
I had bought Gem the Day at AG Place package which included $120 spending money. She quickly scooped up her third doll (Elizabeth-from the colonial era). With the coins left from that purchase combined with her private stash of $110, she found four outfits, including a Cincinnati Reds Fan outfit (My brother,Mark, should be happy). Then Nana stepped in and offered to buy another doll. I wish I had known it was coming because the look on Gem's face was priceless--eyes wide and jaw dropped. Would have made a great picture. She chose Felicity, Elizabeth's friend. Nana also bought her an AG tote that holds both dolls.
We arrive.
Waiting at the photo studio. This was my favorite picture of the entire trip.
AG Place was so neat. It's located in the high rent district overlooking Water Tower Square, next to Ralph Lauren (Hoity-toity but wonderful). It occupies three floors and a basement. The basement is part merchandise, part theater. We enjoyed an hour-long live musical production early in the afternoon. The middle floor is merchandise, the consierge, and AG Place photo studio. As part of the package Gem got a personalized AG magazine with her on the cover. The second floor above street level is more merchandise and the American Girl Cafe. We had 4 o'clock tea in the most obnoxiously decorated room I have ever seen. It was over the top--black and white stripes with accents of hot pink. It screamed, "I am woman. See me roar." Even the poor waiters had to wear pink aprons. Definitely overdone, but hey, it worked. Third floor must have been office space. There was no escalator to that level, but there were large red awnings and pink and red stars on the windows from outside so I asume that they own that space too.
Shopping.
The AG Cafe.
A very nice woman at the next table took this picture. I just wish that a waiter would have bumped her to the left a few inches.
The details were wonderful. At the cafe there were doll chairs that clipped to your table. You didn't bring a doll along?--no problem. Just borrow any of these during your meal. Even going to the bathroom was an experience. There were little hooks in the stalls to hold not only your purse and coat, but also your doll.
Mom is right. Where do I buy stock? They must have a mark-up margin that rivals perfume. They produce a quality product and you pay for it, but it's so much fun. Besides, I'd rather have my daughter taken with American Girl dolls and books than with Barbies and some hormone filled pre-teen magazine.
Our day was wonderful. Even the bus ride back and the trian ride home were enjoyable.
. . . and she still makes her bed every day.
Going home very happy.
1 comment:
They have one of these in NYC that we may have to check out. Looks like crazy fun!
Post a Comment