Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Southern Sledding

Our snow is long gone--actually, we only had one good snow and it melted the next day. So what do kids in the south do to compensate?

Pine straw sledding.

For all the Yankees, pine straw is the southern version of mulch--dried up pine needles. When I moved here I had no idea what it was. In fact, when we lived in Indiana I remember my southern grown friend asking me about a good place to get pine straw. I laughed at her. Well, now she lives here and it's her turn to laugh at my Yankee self. I still call a shopping cart a "cart"--they call it a "buggy". It sounds more refined I guess. I just can't imagine Scarlet O'Hara pushing a cart, buggy fits the south.



Pine straw sledding is what Works for Me this Wednesday! For other great tips visit Rocks in My Dryer (the link is in my side bar).

2 comments:

Natalie said...

what you southerners won't do for a little fun! never heard of it, but I can see it looks like fun. Plus, I like that it doesn't involve snow suits, boots, hats, scarves, etc.

Anonymous said...

What a hoot --- looks like fun! Also, the first time I went to Wal-Mart in Alabama, I asked the greeter where I could find a cart. She said, "Ah hay-ave no idea". She didn't know what I was talking about --I guess I was speaking the wrong dialect! At least here in Okla. either "cart" or "buggy" will do.