Friday, February 29, 2008

Why I Love Old Books

I really do love classics. Some of my favorites are Robinson Crusoe, The Scarlet Pimpernell, Around the World in Eighty Days, and of course P&P and Jane Eyre.

Maybe I'm drawn to the history--being able to step into the author's world and live and observe characters from the point of view of someone who lived during or near that time.

I think that another reason that compels me to pick up a classic is that I enjoy the code of conduct that people generally lived by until the 1800's. To be called a gentleman or a lady meant something. Even during the late 1700's there was a distinction strongly preserved, not by rank alone, but by conduct, that distinguished a gentleman from the common man.

George Washington was known for his ability to overlook an insult or at least answer it in a calm and rational way. This was considered a mark of "good breeding". To treat an undeserving person with respect that was not due them was expected.

The basic principal was that in difficult situations, a gentleman or lady was expected to rise to the occasion. The bar was set high. I've hear it said that people are like teabags: you don't know what is really in them until they get in hot water.

I'm not so romantic or naive to think that this code didn't have its drawbacks. I can see how people must have stuffed down their real emotions to a fault. I also see how pride in position or self-importance would get in the way. I like Rhett Butler's assessment of Scarlet: she's no lady.

I also see that a more relaxed setting might be able to kick back and enjoy life more, though Elizabeth Bennet does give me reason to believe that laughter often emerged in refined settings too.

Maybe I just like the good stories that I find in old books. Whatever the reason, they hold a charm for me that I don't find as often in modern books.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hearing women talk about Jane Eyre (especially you and Em) is fascinating. I mean, it actually makes me want to read it. Not because I would enjoy it but because I'm pretty sure I could actually learn something about the mystery that is "woman". It's always the same thing from women who read it: "Insights into my soul", "I relate to her so much", "she knows just how I feel" etc. etc. Could you just tell me specifics without making me read it? I want to read it, but I'm certain that doing so would result in total immasculation. Just admitting that I want to read it makes me feel feminine. So curious though

Kathy in WA said...

What are you going to read next? We watched Becoming Jane last weekend. What did you think of it? Have you read much about Austen's life? Dh and I found ourselves seeing different pieces of her work in the story. "Oh, that's a little bit of Sense and Sensibility." "Now there's some Pride and Prejudice."

:)

Six in the Mix said...

I'm going to have to read Sense and Sensibility next because I've never read it--just seen the movie. But I don't know when I'll be motivated to actually pick it up.

Actually, I had planned to follow the recommended reading list from Susan Wise-Bauer's book, The Well Educated Mind, but have strayed a lttle.

Back on task--I thought Becoming Jane was excellent and I picked up delightful quotes throughout as well, but I could have done with a little less sexual content in the beginning. I would like to have owned the movie, but can't because I don't want the kids to pick it up and pop it in--especially my 9 year old who loves Pride and Prejudice. That angle was a little disappointing. I thought Anne Hathaway's performance was her best ever.