My friend at church thought I was a bit panicked about the whole situation and encouraged me to take it easy. But you see, on my mom's side of the family they really do believe that cleanliness is next to godliness. My Aunt Pam's house would always pass a white glove inspection. My Mom constantly spring cleans because then she doesn't have to. My husband teases her about the countless times she sweeps her kitchen floor in a given day. Her mother,(my Mama Jo) has a plaque next to her back door that states, "I clean my house every other day. Today is the other day." Mama Jo's nickname is "the white tornado" cleaning everything in her path. Making my house immaculate for the arrival of this storm was imperative.I cleaned everything in four hours. Not a smudge on a window, not a spot on the floor (unless it was permanent). Even the playroom had nothing out of place. Then I picked up my kids, fed them, bathed them and put them to bed. I went to bed exhausted but happy, then couldn't sleep the whole night because my mind was still racing from the cleaning list I was ticking off in my head.
When Mama Jo, Mom and my sister arrived, the house was perfect and I was exhausted. With all the effort I had left myself in the dust--tired, worn, frayed. Thankfully, though, I had a babysitter and could take a nap.
Four Generations PictureDid I learn my lesson? I'm happy to report that for the remainder of the week I only cleaned a little and didn't stress about it at all. I spent time on the back porch, rocking in the new porch swing that Mom bought me and talking with my family. I played euchre, went out with my husband for two dates and went shopping with my sister then my mom, without the kids. I kicked back and was glad that I had prepared and frozen meals ahead of time. I'm glad that I cleaned my house ahead of time too, but maybe I won't be as extreme next time.
They are still at it.
1 comment:
I really think you have to be in the family and a woman to really understand how imperative it was that you cleaned like a mad woman. I applaud your efforts.
I'm pretty sure there will be a "Forced to be a Compulsive Cleaner" crown in heaven for you and me.
Go take a nap!
Post a Comment