Friday, March 05, 2010

Seuss on Sale

Last night I went to a pre-sale for a consignment event at the church up the street. I had already made a pact with myself that I would not linger in the book section and would absolutely NOT buy more than a few books, if any. And NO TOYS!

I was good. I made a beeline for the baby shoes and stocked up on some adorable footwear for Sugar for the summer. Check. Now on to the boy's clothes ...

Then something caught my eye and my heart jumped. As I reached my hand for the bag, some lady with a miniature shopping cart swooped in like hawk on a mouse and stole it! At least that's what I thought might happen in the three seconds it took for me to nonchalantly pick up the bag and calmly place it in my laundry basket. Inside, the greedy bargain shopper wanted to stand on a table, hold my treasure aloft and yell, "Ha!!! I found it first!", but I told her to get down and behave. Besides, they would have stoned me. For a good 3 minutes I had to repeat to myself, "I will not act like a greedy garage saler...I will not act like a greedy garage saler...I will not, Not, NOT!" It was especially difficult not to gloat when the lady at the checkout groaned and said, "I didn't see these. Wow! You got the find of the night!"

Here it is:



There are 22 of them. Full size and hard bound. And here's the sweet spot: $18. That's 82 cents each. And it gets even sweeter. When we opened the first one it cracked. Then we opened the next one--crack. The next--crack. They had never been opened. A whole set that had never been touched. Beautiful!



I did not buy even one toy. I wasn't even tempted.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a deal! My kids are grown but being that the books are Dr.Seuss and in mint condition, I would have swooped them up in a heart beat! Nice find indeed!

Carmen : )

Keeping Up With the Joneses said...

Wow! "Good deal, good deal!"

Pop

Keeping Up With the Joneses said...

Who be
You be
You be cool be

You be the shopper
You be the shopper hopper
You be the whopper shopper hopper

Who be
You be
You be cool be

Gem said...

Please try to blog more often.