There is a trend that all people who have ever gone to school experience: easy, hard, pulling-teeth hard, and exasperating. The home school is no exception. Our last month has been hard. This week has been pulling-teeth hard, and today (thankfully, it's Friday) was downright exasperating. After getting the bare bones done I released them out into the wonderful sunshine.
I remember when my public school teachers would occasionally give us an extra five minutes on the playground. I know what they were fighting--a beautiful day and 26 children who were more concerned about the clouds that were floating by rather than drilling multiplication tables.
One of the benefits of home schooling is that when the level reaches exasperating I can call it quits for the day (or until the afternoon). I wish that public school teachers could do something similar.
It's hard being the teacher and the principal though. To know when to push through and do the hard thing or when it is more beneficial for all just to quit is a hard call to make. It challenges my character, which yells like a drill sergeant, "Keep going! Keep going!" Sometimes, though, it's just time to hang it up.
No Longer Mundane
12 years ago
1 comment:
Dropped by from Politics for Moms - haven't been here for a while!
Loved your comments on the Freedom Friday post - your eloquence, without sounding snarky or defensive, just go to prove your points very well. I've noticed that about every comment you've made there so far.
And hang in there - we all have Spring Fever I think! My kids have been acting outrageous all week - like the minute they get off that bus ALL sorts of bizarre and unusual impulses take over their mouths and their minds. If I wasn't having such a crappy week myself, I'd be freaking out and wondering what happened to my well-ordered home and responsible, kind kids!
But I figure, we're all entitled to act out sometimes. I think they're still re-acting to the time change. I know it took me a couple days to recover this year. So with that and all the sunny days, it's just added up to some weird stuff :)
Post a Comment