But Gem has been in love with the sound since the day she heard an infomercial advertising a CD of pan flute music for only $19.95 + shipping and handling. I do have to admit, though, that if she ever joins a marching band, she picked the right instrument.
After my Aunt Marna read my entry, she lovingly offered her instrument for my personal torture. She hand-delivered it to my parents' house around Thanksgiving and my mother disguised it in pretty paper with a bow. Imagine my astonishment when Gem opened the oblong package and revealed, not a guillotine, but a flute. I was all joy and horror.
Now we have to polish it up and get new pads under the keys/buttons/press down things. Aunt Emily graciously offered to teach my daughter how to blow properly, so she's already tooting.
Okay, let me drop the sarcasm for a moment: I'm glad that she has the flute, and I'm so thankful for Aunt Marna's generosity. I've been teaching Gem piano over the last semester and she has proved to be a good student, eager to learn and practice. Though her instrument isn't my favorite, I'm thrilled that she is engaging in music and enjoying it so much. After we're through investing in the flute and lessons, we'll just have to invest in the extreme isolation headphones that I found online for $98.85.
No comments:
Post a Comment