Over at Rocks in My Dryer, Shannon is doing backwards day for her Works for Me Wednesday (WFMW). Instead of giving a tip, she's asking for an answer. I thought I would join in. So . . . 1) Besides buying a new one, how do you get rid of smells in your microwave?
2) I'm looking for a math program that gives my kids conceptual understanding, not just mechanics. Anyone have any suggestions? My kids are K and 3rd grade right now. Currently, I use Horizons Math and have been pleased up to this point, but I'm finding that my 3rd grader has little understanding of real life application, though she can work a problem with no trouble.
I love that so many people who were educated in my grandfather's generation can tick off multiple digit multiplication and division in their heads. I don't know how to train my kids that way because it wasn't modeled in public schools for me. I've looked at Math-u-see and would love to know more about what people think of that, but I'm open to many options. I've also looked at a math program that utilizes an abacus.
So, what do you use? What do you suggest? What works for you this Wednesday?
14 comments:
I love the Reader Rabbit programs for math. I have the Kindergarten one and it asks you to do math for tickets to buy prizes and to fix the rides at the amusement park. I also really like their general program as well for Kindergarten. Sorry we haven't reached 3rd grade yet but I know they have multiple levels and I think they make a 3rd grade one. I would suggest buying the 4th grade version if she is already proficient at her level.
I've heard that a dish of water with some added fresh lemon juice put into the microwave for a few minutes on high will get rid of any odors.
I agree. Dish of water with Real Lemon juice and boil for 5 - 10 minutes depending on power of your microwave. This also makes cleaning a cinch b/c the condensation lifts the "gunk" right off and you can just wipe it clean.
I use Math-U-See and I love it. It is perfect for building conceptual skills.
After I clean out the microwave I place a small cup of baking soda in there for the day. Of course you'll need to take it out eeach time you cook in there, but just place it back after each time you use it. Do this for a few days.
You can also create a paste with the baking soda and water and gently clean the plate with it.( or base of your doesn't have a plate)
A large bowl of water with lemon in it brought to a boil will not only clean but should eliminate smell in your microwave.
I love Singapore Math - it is very conceptually oriented.
I investigated Math-U-See and Shiller Math - I really liked both, but we don't have the room or budget for the manipulatives.
I'm using Miquon Math and LOVE it! You do need cuisenaire rods but I got mine for $5 on eBay.
My husband is a Calculus/Physics teacher and we are homeschooling our 7. Needless to say, he took his time investigation curriculums. He believes that when children are not taught to think mathematically then they get stuck at geometry level and never make it past. Kids don't need to do math they need to experience it.
We have chosen to do Miquon and Singapore math. They are both integrated programs. They both use some manipulatives. They both move at just the right pace.
I've enjoyed teaching math and my visual learners are doing great with it.
We have had to go back and officially "learn" our multiplication tables, but they had already picked much of the information along the way.
Check it out!!
I get what you are saying about Math, this has been my homeschool dilemma this year as well!
We have switched to Bob Jones and I really like it a lot. I havent purchased all of the extras and make a lot of my own manipulatives, because it can get pricey.
I also considered Rays Arithmetic, available from Keepers of the Faith.
I use Singapore for my K, but I am finding it to be kind of confusing to use. It may be that I am switching between curriculums. It is very good, but I cant say I will stick with it!
Another twist on the lemon juice and water-
Cut half a lemon, place in small glass dish and nuke it for 50 seconds.
My daughter put popcorn in the microwave for 20 MINUTES. I thought our microwave was dead- it wasn't but it smelled worse.
We did the lemon thing once a day for 3 days and voila- no more smell.
Oh, and we don't let her pop the popcorn anymore . . . . LOL
Another twist on the lemon juice and water-
Cut half a lemon, place in small glass dish and nuke it for 50 seconds.
My daughter put popcorn in the microwave for 20 MINUTES. I thought our microwave was dead- it wasn't but it smelled worse.
We did the lemon thing once a day for 3 days and voila- no more smell.
Oh, and we don't let her pop the popcorn anymore . . . . LOL
I switched to Math U See after using Saxon Math. I like the fact that there are DVDs that I can use to help teach the program. Even though it is taught differently than the way I learned Math, I do like it. I have a 3rd grader and kindergartener using it.
We just switched to Math-U-See from Horizons. MUS is a hit with my kindergarten-guy.
Bring white vinegar to a boil in a coffee mug or bowl. Don't open the door when it's done so the steam can accumulate on the inside. (It's amazing how it softens anything that might be stuck on.) Wipe out with a damp rag and it should smell just plain ol' clean. That's the great thing about cleaning with white vinegar... the smell completely disappears after it dries.
To recycle the bowl of vinegar, you can use it to clean your kitchen drain after the microwave. Sprinkle a little bit of baking soda down the sink first, then add the vinegar. Of course, you can work that into a science lesson, too. ;)
Post a Comment